Saturday 2 April 2016

Why Today Is Such An Important Day

Today, the 2nd April 2016 is :

I wasn't actually planning on blogging about this today as, I thought, what can I write about that I haven't already written in the past?

But then, I read this article this morning.  And something went *pop* inside of my head.  

Why?

Because articles like that are so damaging, misinformed and give out the wrong message.  In today's day and age, where awareness is so much more rife than 10 years ago.

Or so I thought.

I am not a doctor or an 'expert'.  But I am a mother of a beautiful autistic child, so allow me to state some points to ponder over.

Autism is a Physiological Way of Being

Don't get me wrong. I am not sugar coating anything or in denial about anything.  I know there are many co-morbid health issues that accompany this physiological way of being.  I don't profess to know, 100%, what causes this, just like I do not know if autism starts in the womb or from environmental factors, post-birth.

But I DO know that articles like I mentioned above, cause desperate, exhausted parents to follow bad advice and try really damaging therapies.  Anal bleaching is one.  Extreme dieting is another.  Torturous forms of ABA, yet another.  

And what for?  To try and squash a unique circle into a square peg?  


Again, let me reiterate that I am not saying therapies are not needed for co-morbid conditions.  Which many 'neurotypicals' have, by the way.

But to continue spewing this mentality that autistic individuals need to be changed, cured or recovered, is like saying a blind person isn't as important as a seeing individual.

We are all different.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

Imagine if we let our children flourish and grow the way they need to grow and experience this life, instead of forcing them to be the way society demands - the possibilites are endless. 

No, it is not easy, for the parent or autistic individual.  But instead of creating false, unnecessary promises, let's embrace a different way of being.  And help in a more constructive way.

Let's encourage our children, through our actions and words, that difference does not mean less.  



It means an opportunity to develop an open mind and see the world through rainbow coloured glasses.  To learn about compassion and acceptance.  To learn that each and every one of us matter. 

And that is the wonderful legacy you can leave behind in this world.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment